What you’ll learn
Students will learn about the different types of wax and how and when to use them to suit the mold or container.
By the end of the course you will know the type and size of wick to use to ensure the best burning of the candle for a clean burn and a good fragrance throw.
Understand the best type of fragrances to use and how to anchor essential oils in your candles.
How to use colour to create stunning effects in both pillar and container candles.
How to theme and decorate candles for special occasions, for gifts and to sell.
In this course you will learn how to make numerous candles using beeswax, paraffin and soy wax with a variety of fun techniques. You will discover the benefits of making your own candles, from avoiding the toxic ingredients often found in candles to choosing your own colours and fragrances. You will also learn:
- How candles work
- The different types of wax and the best choices for pillar and container candles.
- The correct way to colour candles and how to create fantastic effects with colours
- All about wicks, how they work and the best which ones to use in your candles
- The 2 types of fragrance, their pros and cons and which is best to use for candle making
- How to set up a safe work area in which to make candles
- What equipment you will need – most of it is basic kitchen equipment you probably already have
- The 2 main types of mold and how to use them, as well as ideas for sourcing cheap candle containers, so that you can get started straight away at little or no cost.
As well as watching how to make regular pillar and container candles, you will see how to make massage candles, wax tarts, floating candles and tea lights. You will also see how to make some fabulous candles using whipped wax.
There is even a section on decorating your containers and candles so that you can give them as gifts or even sell them.
I will walk you step by step through making all the candles, so that you can easily make your own afterwards.
By the end of the course you will have enough information and skills to design your own candle creations using a range of molds, fragrances and colours.
Who this course is for:
- Anyone who wants to learn how to make candles using various techniques and molds for personal use, to give as gifts or to sell
- Anyone who is looking for a new creative hobby
- This course is perfect for anyone familiar with soap making, as the techniques for melting, pouring and creating effects with colour are similar for candle making.
- Anyone who wants to have candles that have safer emissions and fewer health risks by avoiding carcinogenic and toxic petrochemicals in some synthetic fragrances..
- Getting Started
- Making a Pillar Candle
- Making Container Candles
- Candle Safety and Testing
- Making Wax Tarts
- Specialty Candles
- Beeswax Candles
- Decorating Candles and Containers